Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 5116

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello 68 Cobra Jet Welcome to the forum. There is nothing wrong with modeling armchairs. Just so long as they are N scale

So, tell us a bit about your N scale interests. What road, what era and that all important question..................Steam or...............No, I can't bring myself to think of the alternative

Have fun and post lots
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,971 Times in 4,809 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard @68 Cobra Jet !

Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Hobby and to the Forums @68 Cobra Jet
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick note now. I tend to get long winded so I will try to keep this short. I used to model in HO but now that I am retired I am switching to N scale as our new home we purchased to retire in is a little short on room. I enjoy making my own switches and custom trackwork in HO so I'm going to try it in N also. I haven't Had a layout in years so I am trying to get going but new home means new honey-do's so trains are sometimes put on the back burner. Plus the new home is on the lake so a boat and fishing will be other distractions to deal with. Retired after 40 years in railroad industry. 33 years at Santa Fe-BNSF ( last worked as train dispatcher) and found myself unemployed. Moved on to a short line in western Kansas where I was then able to retire. Enjoying life and dreaming about trains. Moved back to Texas to be near family (7 kids and 5 grands). God has truly Blessed us.
    New home, new scale! Ain't retirement great?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,674 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
    33 years at Santa Fe-BNSF ( last worked as train dispatcher)
    Welcome to the best N scale forum on the Internet!

Which desk did you work at the NOC? Did you know Tim Moe, Blair Kooistra, or Alan Graviett?
    Paul Schmidt

Shasta (2008-2020) -- All good dogs should live forever

Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Check out Appalachian Railroad Modeling!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have met Blair. The other guys I have seen their names but never met them. I was only in the Noc for 9 months and then migrated to the Spring Joint Dispatching Center near Houston for my last 9 years. I have worked almost every desk east of Belen, NM. The last desk I worked was Lampasas sub (Temple TX to Brownwood, TX)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy making my own switches and custom trackwork in HO so I'm going to try it in N also.
    FastTracks can be your friend here.

What are you thinking of modeling? Something in Texas, perhaps Santa Fe?

BTW, I'm a signal electronic technician working out of Interbay in Seattle. The dispatchers I work with most are Seattle Terminal, Centralia North, the new-ish Stampede (they broke that away from the Oregon Trunk desk in 2018, if I recall) and North Branch.
    Paul Schmidt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Paul, not ignoring your reply. I had typed out a long reply and fat fingered the send button and hit cancel instead. Got pissed at myself and had to go play with my train for a while to settle down.☺
    After parting ways with BNSF I ended up working for a short line RR in western Kansas. MOW worker. Part of my duties were Signal maintainer, but never got the training I was promised so I had to refuse to do it anymore. Only had 8 crossing protection signals in 250 miles of territory, all dark TWC territory. 3 gates, 2 style C flashers, and 3 flashers that were presence detection circuits. Not much there anyway. Balance of my time was a machine operator. Sometimes that machine was a power pick or shovel and I was the power part. Mostly changed out defective ties and rail with a backhoe. Last desk I worked in the NOC was Red Rock sub on Santa Fe's side, Arkansas City, KS to Gainesville, TX 2nd tric k.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of my duties were Signal maintainer, but never got the training I was promised so I had to refuse to do it anymore.
    Smart move by you, given the mountain of federal laws we have to know and follow, as well the personal liability, including jail time.
    Paul Schmidt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Precisely why I refused. Public safety foremost, but didn't like the idea of personal fines either. They outsourced it and quadrupled their expense. Glad it's not my problem anymore. Lots of bad practices there, but when you are a short line on a shoestring budget sometimes hard choices have to be made. It's all good now though. Hard to get into that mindset after working for a Class 1.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intro

Greetings, I introduced myself elsewhere, but this seems to be the official location. My name is Marc, I live in San Diego, I'm 53. I'm getting back into model railroading with a tabletop layout (3' x 5.5'). Still in its early stages. Base being built, risers and inclines added, and track testing underway. This seems to be a very good source of info, looking forward to more exploring.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, @SD_Marc! This is a great forum.

There are no dumb questions here, so ask away. As for the answers, well, try to bear in mind that at least no animals were harmed in our efforts to help.
    Paul Schmidt

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello SD_Marcand welcome.

3 x 5.5 sounds like a nice manageable size. As you might have noticed, there are two camps on here. Those that like steam and err, some other folk The big question is; are you one of the others ?

The local wildlife is friendly. So are wombat457 and Moose2013

Have fun.
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Marc- I am also new to this forum. I used to model in HO but now I am trying my hand at N scale. Good to have you with us. I am just getting benchwork started to hold modules that I can some day bring to shows. Still deciding what era and locale to model but certainly will model Santa Fe as I worked there for 36 years. I am about an hour North of Houston so I am thinking I might do East Texas, Conroe Sub. I like Steam Engines so it will probably be my choice to do transition era. Tell us more about your plans or your RR.
    Earl

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Marc- I am also new to this forum. I used to model in HO but now I am trying my hand at N scale. Good to have you with us. I am just getting benchwork started to hold modules that I can some day bring to shows. Still deciding what era and locale to model but certainly will model Santa Fe as I worked there for 36 years. I am about an hour North of Houston so I am thinking I might do East Texas, Conroe Sub. I like Steam Engines so it will probably be my choice to do transition era. Tell us more about your plans or your RR.
    Earl
    Being this is my first layout since I was a kiddo, which was a 4 x 8 HO we sometimes put on the pool table, I'm keeping it very freelance. A learning experience. The real trains of my youth were BN and GN in the Pacific Northwest, so that is what my freight is. A BN SD45 and a variety of northwestern fallen flags. I also have an Amtrak consist similar to the modern Empire Builder. It's kind of all over the place, but being a tabletop, there isn't much room to develop a prototype layout.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SD_Marc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pacific Northwest is beautiful territory. Modelling anything from that area will be rewarding. Lots of options from mountain logging to port service to internal. Good luck trying to narrow it down��. Keep us informed with your progress. I have spent lots of time reading old posts and there's a ton of good info out there. Ask any questions you may have. Someone has already come up with a variety of solutions. Try anything you like - it's your RR. We'll be here to offer our advice, consolation or whatever's appropriate. Enjoy!
    Earl.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Railroader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New member introduction

Hi guys,

Greg here from Toronto in the Great, but not so White, North... at least not in Toronto 😊

Just getting into the hobby. Always wanted to build a nice train layout. Since I want it in my office - and not the basement - I have a 59Ē x 32Ē area to play with.

I did some research and Iím going to stick with Kato track and my first few dieselís. I know itís expensive but it seems that the quality is really there with Kato product.

Iím a bit of a modeller, have had my model aircraft published in Fine Scale Modeller magazine before and Iíve done some diorama work to boot.
    Was into slot car racing for a while and have quite a custom routed track in my basement. If you want to see some of my work, head over to www.aircraftresourcecentre.com and look up lgl007... I used to post there quite a bit when I was younger and had more time for building detailed models

Still, the itch to build a train layout has always been thereÖ

Was thinking of using the Kato Amherst 2005 N Scale Unitrack layout that they have posted on the Kato website. Seems like a nice little layout and I can expand it a bit more to fit my slightly larger space.

Iím going to jump into DCC straight way and get the Digitrax Zephyr Express controller.

Iím still in the planning stages and doing lots of research. Happened upon this forum and have been reading quite a few of your postsÖ most helpful indeed!

So I figure why not, jump right in and become a member. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I beg your pardon in advance given my 'noobness' to the hobby Your patience and help will be most appreciated!

Cheers ladsÖ

-Greg

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgl007 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,971 Times in 4,809 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome Marc & Greg

great site and nice folks with lots of info to share
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

30. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forums Marc and Greg and Greg, it sounds as though you have thought this through and am ready to go
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

32. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New to N scale and forum

Hi,

Just joined the group. I've been modeling in HO for the last 15 years and just started in N three months ago. That's because I wanted to model the 1947 American Friendship Train and there's no train specific rolling stock in HO. However, Micro-Trains produced 15 beautiful Friendship Train cars in N scale that I couldn't pass up. I now have the complete set plus an ABBA set of Bachmann B&O F7s (simulating 1947 era F3s) to pull them.

When looking to construct a suitable table top layout, I discovered discontinued Life-Like Power-Loc track on ebay and in local hobby shops. I now have a 5' x 3' main line oval, an interior switching yard oval, and two sidings for 3 Bachmann switching locos with track cleaning car.

I was hesitant to try N scale since I'm 75 and vision/dexterity aren't what they used to be. However, with OptiVisor and the right tools, I've muddled through and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

Dave
    US Air Force (Retired)

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rip For This Useful Post: