Page 13 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New member

Well a little bout me, I am 29 and during the weekdays I am a Service Advisor for a local car dealer. On the weekends I run sound for a band. I also work on my layout. As I am new to the hobby I really don't have that much experience under my belt and may ask what some may consider a
    dumb question from time to time. But as my quote says, the only way to
    learn is to ask. So please forgive me ahead of time.
    Til later,
    Will 8)
    The only way to learn is to ask questions!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Welcome new nScale.net Members

Ok good...this fourm works in a way I can understand it. I am not an n-scaler, but an HO scaler. I am originally from nscale.org, but since that has been hacked, i need somewhere to go to post my info. I've heard that a lot of nscale.org people visit here reguarily. In the future, though, i may do nscale.

-Trainman-

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trainman , Welcome over here, we're glad to see you .
    Mike

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone,

My name is Shelby and been around the real trains since I was very small. My grandfather worked for the Rock for 45 years. Got to playing with his Lionels as a child, but they got too valuable. So, he and I built an HO basement layout in the 1970's. I modelled in N scale from 1980-82, then had to store everything. Now I have a wife and 5 year old son, so I quit being an armchair modeller and found room for a door layout in N scale. Still, alot has changed since I last modelled and technology and quality have made tremendous strides. It has been great to find a site like this. Nice people and lots of good, helpful knowledge. I also *love* pictures of everyone's trains/layouts. I posted 2 pics of my own progress, not too great. I'm still learning the digital camera. My son and I have been working on our Argenta Eastern railway, progress is steady if, not spectacular. I work as an engineering administration analyst for an automotive OEM supplier. Meaning, we make parts that are then installed on new cars on the assembly line. Take care everyone.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome Shelby , good to have you and glad you are able to once again enjoy the hobby. The pictures are Great , keep up the good work.
    Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all. I'm new to the hobby. So new, in fact, that I don't actually own anything yet. I've been doing some research over the past couple of months, and think I'd like to build a small layout in my apartment. My brother had an HO layout when I was a kid, and I was always fascinated by it. It looks like a lot has changed since then, so I look forward to learning!

-Elroy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a retired engineer. Don

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Larry,

Don't worry, this group's good at the Q&A thing, without running short of patients... worst case, you'll be pointed to previous threads or articles that cover the topic...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 867 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member

Greetings fellow N-scalers

Aa this is my first posting, I trust you will bear with me as I describe my layout and the concept behind it. . .

I live in New Zealand (a liitle group of islands 4,00miles south of Hawaii- some of you might know of it), and my layout lives in a purpose-, free-standing closet, which has a single sheet of plywood where the door would be. This ply sheet is hinged 3/4 of the way down its length so that it tilts out and down, and when fully open, is at a 90 degree angle to the closet, with 3/4 of the sheet being accessable for modelling, the other 1/4 remaining inside the closet. The ply sheet serves as the baseboard, with the layout on the top (the 'inside') of the sheet, so that it is invisible when the sheet is closed back into the closet. It keeps things nice and tidy, and the domestic authorities are happy. It also makes transportation very easy-no need to break apart a perfectly good layout when moving house.

The layout depicts part of a mythical branchline, which is in turn part of a mythical private railway, that connects with the (non-mythical) New Zealand Government Railways at some distant point.

The year: 1979, the season: late Fall.

The layout is freelance in concept and was built to depict New Zealand-style trains in a typical North Island-New Zealand setting. Short trains rule, and consist of mixes of both 4-wheeled and bogie rolling stock. These are appropriate for both the geographical, national, and chosen-year setting.

The ' branch is fully dieselised, and the locos are all 'Lifelike' SD-7's - much modified.

(To give you some idea of what I operate, imagine an SD-7 hauling a train made up of 'Thomas the Tank-Engine's' 4-wheeled trucks, together with some Bachmann Old-Time bogie wagons and with a Bachmann O.T Combine at the rear - it might sound odd, but visually it looks right, and is in keeping with the concept).

The ruling scale is 1:148 (British N-scale), though US N-scale (1:160) is also used, together with OO/HO scales as appropriate. Except for the usual items such as rolling stock, track, people and vehicles, everything is scratchbuilt.

The layout measures 7'6" x 2'6", and is basically an oval (a la' MR's EZ and Quick), with a T-shaped partition down the centre. The partition acts as a visual-block and separates 2 yards - one large, one small.

As previously noted, when fully open, 1/4 of the baseboard remains inside the cabinet. However, this is not 'wasted space', but is used to advantage to create 'distance; by emphasising the existing shadows trains can be made to 'vanish' into the 'far distance', an effect helped by the use of dull colours on the rolling stock and low running speeds for the trains.

Power comes from any handy transformer (2 wires-dead simple).

Finally the layout name: The Te Kereu (Tea-care-rare-roo) branch of the Tickford Valley Railway Co.(London) Ltd.

I hope this makes sense, and has been of interest. Thanks for your patience.

Kindest regards

Komata
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Komata

That is quite a nice visual picture you painted. I'd love to see some pictures of it if you have any.

Enjoy nscale.net.

Best,
    Tony
    Best,
    Tony

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome :!:

Komata,

It's good to have someone else that knows what a 4-wheeler is
    Don't forget to post some pic's... I like your layout (storage) idea, and some pic's would be great (we love pics here)...

There is starting to be a small collection of folks from the underside, so don't feel like you're alone here...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To many forums, not enough time....... :?

Anyway I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Phill and I hail from Brisbane on the underside of the world, Australia. My working hours are spent supervising an IT help desk for our state govenments treasury department.

I've been in n-scale for around 5yrs after about 15yrs in HO. Not once have I regreted the move. I model western roads namely UP and SP with a bit of Western Pacfic and CB&Q thrown in.

My layout is approx 11' x 6' set in a dogbone. As this is my second layout I'm hoping not to make the same mistakes as I made on the first.

I mainly post on Railwire but will try and pop in here on a regular basis as well.

Regards

Phill Perry
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey UP Phil

Welcome to nscale.net. I've seen and enjoyed and learned from your posts elsewhere. Glad to see that you will be posting here some as well.

There really is a lot of people here from that part of the world. I'm sure they will introduce themselves in short order.

Best,
    Gargoyle
    Best,
    Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "UP_Phill"
    I mainly post on Railwire but will try and pop in here on a regular basis as well.
    What's "Railwire"...sorry I don't know about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one of the many great forums that are around.

http://therailwire.net/phpbb/portal.php

Regards

Phill Perry
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First post; might as well use it to introduce myself....

Hi all,
    Where to start...

Well, my name is Kevin, though I will answer to (most) anything.
    I am not only an N scaler, I'm also an HO scaler. (Got my start in HO; was introduced to N in the mid-90s by a co-worker of my mom's.) Prior to my N scale experiences, I never really had a "favorite" rail line; when forced into a choice (counting there really IS only ONE favorite the way it is) I'd typically choose Milwaukee Road or C&NW or anything else running through Green Bay, the nearest major city; possibly even the Ahnapee & Western, a branch of the GBW that ran into our town). Anyway though, the days of my "indecisiveness" would soon be no more, for my introduction to N-scale was with Canadian Pacific. My mom's co-worker (who, as earlier stated, introduced me to the Wonderful World of N) lived in Sault Ste. Marie, ON, CA for 10 years right on the CP mainline. I have since been the beneficiary of most of his collection; the likelihood of his moving closer to his grandchildren led to the decision of downsizing his collection (and his wife was also relieved) since there was SO much "stuff" and it's less to have to worry about hauling, let alone the fact that N scale and little kids really wouldn't be a very nice combination. (And besides that, G is a LOT easier to see once you get older anyway...)
    Having gratefully received this large collection, I decided to embark on my largest project - recreating Canada.

(website plug)
    You're all welcome to visit (hint, hint) and if you decide to join as a Premium member, send me an email mentioning this site and your username and I will double your account benefits (e.g. as a "Big Boss" you'd earn $160 per hour and have a $100,000 bank account base). (Offer is only valid until May 21)
    Stop by and visit, even if you don't sign up.. http://www.nscalecanada.com
    (/website plug)

Anyway, my other hobbies include planewatching and computers. As for my job, I'm in the process of opening a computer store (or possibly a hobby store - haven't decided) and I'm in the process of getting my pilot's license, debating between being either a pilot or airport director.

And that would essentially be me!
    -Kevin, N Scaler extrordinaire

Why not become a Virtual EntreperNeur - you know you want to...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I am Sean

I have been a fan of model trains all my life thanks to my dad. I have just started to get back into collecting trains again. I have alot of g scale but have jumped into n so that I can have more stuff with less space. I would like to get some help making my first layout.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Kevin and Sean !

This is a great place to learn, I know I have thanks to the great people here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    I'm new to this forum and to N-scale. I've been into H0 earlier (M

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new to this site, but have a lot of train site I go to from time to time. I use all of them for the same thing so to get;

#help
    #information
    #looking for a club or people were I live [Silver Spring/Wheaton, MD areas]

Thanks

BOB