Page 14 of 250 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warning

As a result of a Forum posting I ordered a Sound car from "ONLY'N'DCC" through their Internet site and paid $156.00 through PayPal. After not receiving any type of reply for a month I contacted PayPal who also were not able to contact ONLY'N'DCC. PayPal was only able to recover $69.10 of my $156.00.
    Since their site is still up and running I would warn all not to place an order over the Internet. The only phone number I could find for them was through the Ohio Dealers listing but that turned out to be a private residence with supposedly no connection to ONLY'N'DCC.
    This is obviously an unscrupulous dealer. If anyone else is aware of this situation or has a suggestion on how to recover the rest of my money, please respond.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Warning

Quote Originally Posted by "windwardp"
    As a result of a Forum posting I ordered a Sound car from "ONLY'N'DCC" through their Internet site and paid $156.00 through PayPal. After not receiving any type of reply for a month I contacted PayPal who also were not able to contact ONLY'N'DCC. PayPal was only able to recover $69.10 of my $156.00.
    Since their site is still up and running I would warn all not to place an order over the Internet. The only phone number I could find for them was through the Ohio Dealers listing but that turned out to be a private residence with supposedly no connection to ONLY'N'DCC.
    This is obviously an unscrupulous dealer. If anyone else is aware of this situation or has a suggestion on how to recover the rest of my money, please respond.
    Check you private messages, hope it helps.

Regards

Phill Perry
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks for the information. I have tried both the e-mail address and the phone number before with no luck but I'll try again. I also copied you on the E-mail I sent.
    This is the first time I've ever been burned by placing an Internet order,I hope it's the last. By the way, Only'N'DCC has a link on their Webpage to NScale.net.
    Thnaks again,
    Pat

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone. Thanks Bryan for the welcome. I am new to the N Scale. I am actually new to Model Railroading. I was going to go HO but decided to go with N scale because of the little room I have right now. I am going to start a layout soon. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free to contact me at firefigher111672@yahoo.com. Thanks again.

Scott

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "switchman"
    ... If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free to contact me...
    Scott, I'm sure we all have "ideas", but not knowing what you have to work with, most will be of no use to you... and it's a little difficult to make "suggestions" on a layout/plan/concept of which you know nothing...

So, suggestion #1: Start a thread in the Design & Planning forum, giving us an idea of what sort of railway operations you want to model (mainline, yard, industry, mixed), and what restrictions you have to work with...

Suggestion #2: Look in the Links section under "Layout Information & Planning"... you'll find some good reading...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello. My name is John Simpson and I look forward to learning and contributing to these forums.

I've had my train in a box for the better part of 6 years. When I purchased my last house, I had the choice of building an office or a train room. Being as I needed an office, the train lost out. Now that I'll be in the new house in a month, I'm looking forward to get setup again. I'm also looking forward to getting my oldest daughter involved (she's 5 going on 20).

So, if anyone has any kid friendly advice for working with N-Scale I'd love to hear it. At this point I plan on having her help make trees and she can drive the train. Much more than that, I'm not sure what to do with her at this point.

Below is an image showing the new room I'll be working with. It has a great deal of potential.

http://www.nscale.net/mod-photoshare...-iid-2276.html

Thanks.

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, John...

Now that's what I like to see... an open space just begging for trains to inhabit it... you lucky man :!:

As for your little helper, have her hold one end of the straight edge when you're making out lines, etc... she can pass nails and screws from the box, one at a time... there's lots of little things kids can do in the early stages that makes them feel like an important part of the project... and will give them a sense of achievement... offer praise as you go along and thanks for the assistance (milk & cookies at the end of the session)... mix up the tasks to avoid boredom... give her some train reading material (picture books) to help with the imagination, when not hands on with the layout... show her what can be done (and where you're heading) by letting her see some of the pictures in our Image section... buy or designate her "own" pieces of rollingstock...

I'm sure there are others here with some fresh kiddie helper advice... Todd (Admin) has a similar helper...
    Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I appreciate the support. And yes, I am very lucky. Part of my decision to buy this house was the open space for my train. All together, I'm hoping to have a 10x11 room for the train. The only way in will be through my office, which also means it will be very near my PC's and server. So if I get into any advanced computer stuff with the train, I'll have equipment close by.

My little girl should have a blast with it. There are some train shows in our area quite often so I'll have to take her by and let her pick a few cars out for herself.

Also, since the framing isn't complete in the room, I plan on building all of the support right into the walls without the need of table legs. Essentially the board my train will be on will sit on top of a custom built L-Shaped frame that is part of the wall. If I ever need to move the train I can, and if I ever get a flood (see the sump pump in the picture), I won't have any damage.

John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello all

Hi all
    John Here in Dublin Ireland. Im just getting into N Scale ineed space.I Enjoy to size of the N scale

Cheers to all
    JC

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers John and welcome to nscale.net.

Best,
    Tony
    Best,
    Tony

Hi. My name is Jim Cranley. I have been N Scaling for about 2 years now.
    I am a draftsman for a Land Surveying Company (yawn). I am loking forward to exploring this site.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Jim...

There is plenty to explore here, and we're adding to it as we go... in no time at all, you'll adding to it as well... feel free to ask any questions that come to mind... we're rapidly gaining a good reputation for being friendly and helpful... so please join in...
    Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my introduction, a little late but better than never I suppose.

My name is Matthew Nitti, though I obviously go by ZATZAi online (It's a unique 6 digit word that is always available). My Dad was big into trains, he had an extensive O-Scale layout, and had several Post WW-II Lionel models running all over the house. He would just set it up the sectional track running all over the house, run his trains, and then put them away. We still have his old trains, and whether they belong to him or me is dependent upon who you ask, there still his as long as he's still around I say, though he never runs them anymore.

I've played with many scales over the year, from G scale, whereas my Grandmother (On my Mother's side) bought me some LGB trains and track, that I very much enjoyed (The only track I ever owned with switches). I of course played with some LEGO trains, who my age (Twenties) hasn't? I did of course play with Lionel O scale (My own trains, not my fathers) but got tired of pinching my fingers evertime I put the track together (Also the 3rd rail always bothered me). S scale was soemthing I tried for a very short time, and again, the 3rd rail was a problem. HO scale was the first track I actually mounted to a baseboard, but ultimately nothing case of it.

So my first real layout, as far as I'm concered, was in N Scale. My parents had gotten my a KATO K1 and K3 untrack set from Allied Model Trains in Culver City California. With the help of my Mom the layout was put together, the track glued to a basboard atop a fold out table, and houses and industry were built from plastic kits. Scenery was applied and trains were run, an oval and 8 track (Interdependent of each other) was all it was.

How I loved that layout though, it was in our Mountain home that we visited on the weekends, and I worked on it every visit, either scenicing, or running trains. I usually sceniced at night when I couldn't sleep as the trains were too loud (Track vibrations though the wood as there was no cork or foam layer) to run late at night. I made one half of the layout snow, and the other half fall, I used thread and insta-glue to run eletrical wires across telephone poles running across the layout.

Unfortunately, I never got any more track, not that there was rooom for more on that table. So I never got to do switching, though I would pretend I was with my sing line. I found the contius running idea was very boring, and wanted to eventually do a point to point layout like I had seen in magazines.

Since then I've kept that layout up, and made fiction layouts in games, like SimCity or Railroad Tycoon, and now Trainz. I also picked up Model Railroader, and N-Scale magazine when I could, and often broke out the graph paper and penciles to scetch layout ideas.

After the fires in the Southern California mountains, which almost got to Crestline, I decided to dismantle the layout. It was in a bit of disrepair by then as a visiting guests child had decided to play Godzilla with the layout (That room was also the Guest room), and I was never able to fully restore it. My trains were put in a box, along with the structures, and some of the track.

Now I want to start a new layout, the point to point layout I've always dreamed of, I have the time, some space, and the finances.

I love steam, but Diesel is far more interesting to me, plus it's plain easier to pull off. I want to model a mountain scene, and keep Crestline in mind while I do, so I plan to honor it in name. Coal looks like alot of fun to model, I love what they did with the HO layout the Virginia & Ohio, I have a DVD by Pentrex of it.

I figure I'll set my layout in the future a coupel decades, as there is another item I like to model, giant walking mobile tanks, like in animes. I've made dioramas before, as they are fun and inexpensive to build. I'm sure I can find some in, or close to 1/160 scale, I figure an they woudl fit at an advanced military base, maybe also in a logging industry, but if I do indeed do this, they would be rare occurances on the layout, as real tanks are in real life.

Alright, that was a great deal of typing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself to the rest of you.

As my user name says I am a real life Union Pacific Conductor. I work on what used to be the CNW line.
    Most people just call me Mad Dawg!! I am 32 years old and live near Pilot Mound Iowa.

I had a HO train set when I was a kid and made a novice attempt at scale railroading!

I am new to N scale and basicly new to scale railroading as the railroad I have the most experiance with is 1:1 scale...lol

I have a spare bedroom in my new house that I plan on using for my office/ Railroad room.

I am currently researching layouts and DCC for my own scale railroad.

I want to set up a layout that uses DCC so I can run many trains over my layout. I plan on having a large switching yard with a few industries on one side of the room and a small yard and city with industries on the other with double main track, sidings, and industries in between. My biggest goal is to run 1 manifest train, 1 unit train, and 1 stacker train, 1 passenger train along with 2 or 3 work trains over the layout.

We have a combination of CTC (Centralized Traffic Control) and DT (Double Track) out here on the main line and I would like to do something similar with my layout.

I know nothing about DCC or building layouts but I am a quick study and alway up for a really really good challange. I hope that I can use my 1:1 railroading experience to design and build my N scale layout.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be interesting to see what you come up with considering your experience. From one the last new guy on the block to the latest, "Welcome".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone, I'm Anthony Miles, I live in the United Kingdom. I've been into 'N' scale since I was 10 and a relative bought me a Minitrix starter set. Twenty-one years later and I'm still hooked!

My first 'N' scale "love" has always been German and Austrian outline and for many years I've been collecting stock and planning a layout to accomodate that interest - yep! still planning it but who knows maybe one day..........

About five years ago my local model railroad club started to build an American outline exhibition layout. The excellent quality and reasonable prices of the locos and stock quickly drew me in and the 'net provided lots of information and most of all it was different! A change is as good as a rest afterall!

I wondered into nscale.net quite by chance but I like what I see so hopefully I can add my little bit from time to time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forums RailMiles!!!

I am a newbie to NScale forums too.....but the people here seem pretty nice and I think you will like hangin out here.......I know I do!!!

As my name suggests.....I am a conductor for the Union Pacific......although some folks 'round here kinda frown on the UP.....I have 1:1 scale railroad experience but not much N scale so I usually swap Prototype info for N scale info....and more than happy to answer what questions I can.......so is everybody else for that matter!!

:l

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone, I live in the UK and I've just returned from a three week rail tour in USA .. coast to coast, my first visit and now I'm hooked! I've been working in British N for about 20 years and now that I'm retired I've got time to do something other than a small portable/modular layout. I may well need your help UPConductr as I plan to model UP somewhere out west. Looking forward to learning a lot!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oi Oi Rand101

First let me say......welcome to the forums....I am sure you will enjoy it here....I do.

A 3 week rail tours across the US sounds like great fun and you will have to tell us a little about it.

And lastly, I would be more than happy to answer any of your 1:1 scale questions!! If I dont know the answer....I WILL find the answer!!!

Welcome aboard......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newcomer to Nscale

Hello All!!

My name is Lyle and I reside in Chilliwack, BC, Canada. Semi-retired, I drive a school bus to keep me busy and provide some extra cash to supplement a military pension.

My interest in model railroading is very new. I've been reading Model Railroader for about a year and have decided to build an N scale "closet to top-of-bookcases with a return loop around the TV" layout. I'm planning a yard in the closet with a bridge from the closet to the nearest wall, along two walls (approx. 12 - 14 inches wide), around a 14" TV, with a narrow holding yard of 3 tracks about a yard long tucked in behind my computer on the third wall. My room is 10' by 10.5' spare bedroom, computer room and library, so as you can see, space is at a real premium.

My intent is to start construction in October and to go directly into DCC. So far stock includes 10 cars, no engines and tons of scratch-building/ scenery materials (IOW a lot of junk) from foam boards, styrene, old clock and watch mechanisms to chunks of vinyl siding and bamboo baskets. My big dream is to build a Cyber city and Cyber train from the guts of my old computer (a memory card looks something like a row of tall buildings, don't you think - use your imagination- and a motherboard looks like a miniature city).

Looking forward to viewing all that's available on this site and eventually sharing my knowledge, modelling tricks and tips with others in the forums. Tips for an older (mid fifties) beginner will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Lyle .... er.. busdriver