Page 144 of 250 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 4983

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member

Hi to all my fellow modelers.
    My name is Peter Fish and I hail from Johannesburg South Africa. Due to the fact that we only have 2 local hobby shops (neither of which cater to North American N scale sufficiently) I have opted to take a freelance prototype view as far as my modeling interests go. I used to be into HO (sorry!) but am now passionate about N scale. I am currently planning a moderately sized simple layout......about 3mx5m. and will definitely be needing a lot of guidance!
    My main interest lies with the fallen flag CNW, early dieselization era. However as I have a limited access to CNW products I will have many "visiting" roads on my pike, though most will be from the north west area.
    Hope to chat to like minded modelers!
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WELCOME AARON !!!!!! GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!

Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fifer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 799 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome Aaron to all things N scale!
    Grant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent1961 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Looks like this is going to be a fun filled adventure

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 4,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A little late but

Welcome to the site Aaron!

this is a great place for sharing ideas and boy do we love pictures!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My name is Manny and I just started on KATO N-scale

Hi guys

I am Manny and started with the KATO N scale P42 set I bought from Amazon about a month ago.

I then got greedy and bought more tracks (V3, V7 and more tracks (loose) and more trains... couple of them new and couple of them used from ebay. I then got the Power CAB NCE and tested them today... I kind of got the hang of it...need to spend more time.

I thought if I stick with Kato for a while, I would not have to worry about standards and the BAM I now have three types of connector thingi.. Whats up with that? Is there no standards?

My brand new Kato P42 cannot hook up to the Kato
    Kato 10-830 Steam Locomotive D51 cause those two have totally different connectors

The two I bought on e-bay has a different connector (a third type)

Sigh!

1) Why is that? Why is Kato not selling all their trains with the same connectors so I can mix and match the cars from one to the other?

2) I see some folks change these connectors and what not. These are so small I'd rather not mess with these things? Any suggestions? In the future what should I standardize with?

Thank for the help.

Manny

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome to the site Manny!

Kato couplers and some others don't play well together. I don't have first hand knowledge of Kato products but others do and I'm sure will weigh in soon
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epumph View Post
    Welcome to the site Manny!

Kato couplers and some others don't play well together. I don't have first hand knowledge of Kato products but others do and I'm sure will weigh in soon
    Thank you Gene.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome Manny , good to have you here !!!!
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 799 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the site Manny.

Good choice on the Kato equipment.

The original standard for couplers was rapidos. Manufacturers have been switching over to knuckle style couplers in North America which are not compatible. There are a number of variants on the knuckle couple too which is what you have been reading about. We all have our preferences but are far from unanimous in our choices for the "best" one.

Once you reach 5 posts (3 more to go) you'll be able to post pictures so we have a better idea of what you are describing. Until then we can speculate but unless lucky, cannot give you a definitive answer as to the 3 types of couplers you have. Then suggest how to make them uniform to your liking.
    Grant.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this is the wrong thread to post this but here is a picture of the couplers widely used:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...231#post366231

Thanks to Baronjutter
    Yours,

Gene

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epumph View Post
    this is the wrong thread to post this but here is a picture of the couplers widely used:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...231#post366231

Thanks to Baronjutter
    Thanks Gene and great job Baron!

Mike
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Peter

Glad that you've found the BEST N-scaler site anywhere. Come on in and join the conversation. Glad to have you. We look forward to your input, and to see how your layout develops. BTW, the members LOVE photographs...

Again, welcome.
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New to forum, n-scale, and trains

New member here. Thought i would introduce myself. I am John Dinkeldein from Plainfield, Indiana. I am really new to model trains except for the fact I sell tools at the train shows among model building shows and Hamfests (ham radio). I am usually a hobby woodworker but more into finish work. But I finally bit the bug in the butt and bought a few commuter train cars yesterday at the Martinsville, Indiana train show. I was going to buy a engine expecting to pay around $40 for a new one. Yea was I wrong. So, so far I own some commuter train cars and a Saw mill building. I have no tracks yet (probably just go the easy way out and get the Kato plug and play ones.) But my goal for when I have enough to get started is going to be built for myself and my daughters (ages 2 and 4) to enjoy. Not something elaborate at all. It will be minimal in layout but something my girls will enjoy looking at and playing too. My ideal size layout will be minimum 30" deep by 48" wide, but I might go wider. It will be a urban/city setup. I was hoping to get a subway car train set but I found out I would have to order basically directly from Japan since no one that I know of makes them in the USA.

Anyways I am saying hello and look forward to learning ALOT!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Manny
    I too am new to N scale and can remember also being confused by all the different coupler styles!
    But don't worry you will get all the info you need from this forum and before you know it you will be an expert!
    Personally I prefer the couplers offered by Micro Trains. Give their site a visit. In the meantime ENJOY YOUR HOBBY.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome John !!!!

Nike
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome John!

I was in your shoes when I joined - little knowledge of trains - real or model, or how this wonderful site works. So, grab you favorite beverage and read, ask questions and learn. That is what I did...
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everybody and greetings from Hastings, Michigan!

I’m not exactly a newbie to N scale, having gotten into it in Christmas 1968 with an Aurora Postage Stamp train set. My oldest brother had the Lionel set which I and my next oldest brother always had a blast with. I guess you’d call it "Track Planning" when we’d dump the box of O-27 track on the floor and see what we could make. As I recall our main performance criteria for the old die-cast 2-4-2 was how many Army men it could plow through. So he got into HO via a neighbor selling off a bunch of stuff and my parents decided I should have my own trains.

Lucky for me the Postage Stamp trains turned out to be a Minitrix F-7 and Code 80 track imported from Germany and Roco freight cars from Austria. I say I was ‘lucky’ because of how well that stuff held up under the abuse of me not having a clue as to what I was doing!

But I guess Minitrix’ presence in the U.S. quickly sputtered out when their relationship with Aurora Plastics ended. Atlas Code 80 had become the standard trackwork when I started to do some reading and yearned to put down a more permanent home for my empire. The only thing I can say in my defense as to what happened next is that I’m probably not the only person to have done it: biting off WAY more than I could chew. I had acquired a couple of the nifty Con-Cor passenger cars (early Kato products) and wanted a layout with broad sweeping curves to best show them off. So what better way to take my first stab at a real layout than the ‘Broad Horizons’ from Atlas’ 9 Track Plans book (with not one but TWO reverse loops - I mean how hard could that be?)

We moved before I could ever get that layout to work properly. The ensuing decades didn’t dim the dreams of Empire in 1/160, rather they just got packed into boxes and stayed alive via books, magazines and the odd purchase.

I did come across a Chicago hobby shop getting out of Aurora Postage Stamp and Minitrix. After bringing home the bag of goodies: a big variety of track sections; the different types of switches; a 1992 Catalog (still showing the venerable F-7); and most importantly their classic manual "How to Plan, Build and Operate a Minitirx Layout" it really all came together for me.

Pamela and I have settled into our home here in Hastings and after 3 false start layouts in what proved to be untenable parts of the premises I have staked out an area in the basement large enough for a 4’ x 6’ island layout and an attached small workshop.

By using Minitrix R1 and R2 curves (7-1/2" and 9" radius resp.), the accompanying switches (standard, curved and double slip), and Woodland Scenics Inclines to easily lift one track over another, the 4’ x 6’ island is proving to be a virtual blank canvas for this old Lionel dreamer.

Photos of my current project will accompany another post in this fine forum. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and ideas with you all, as I finally have something tangible TO share, and acquiring a lot of knowledge and useful tips and information

Bye for now!

Malcolm Smith
    The doghouse_thumper

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doghouse_thumper View Post
    Hello everybody and greetings from Hastings, Michigan!

I’m not exactly a newbie to N scale, having gotten into it in Christmas 1968 with an Aurora Postage Stamp train set. My oldest brother had the Lionel set which I and my next oldest brother always had a blast with. I guess you’d call it "Track Planning" when we’d dump the box of O-27 track on the floor and see what we could make. As I recall our main performance criteria for the old die-cast 2-4-2 was how many Army men it could plow through. So he got into HO via a neighbor selling off a bunch of stuff and my parents decided I should have my own trains.

Lucky for me the Postage Stamp trains turned out to be a Minitrix F-7 and Code 80 track imported from Germany and Roco freight cars from Austria. I say I was ‘lucky’ because of how well that stuff held up under the abuse of me not having a clue as to what I was doing!

But I guess Minitrix’ presence in the U.S. quickly sputtered out when their relationship with Aurora Plastics ended. Atlas Code 80 had become the standard trackwork when I started to do some reading and yearned to put down a more permanent home for my empire. The only thing I can say in my defense as to what happened next is that I’m probably not the only person to have done it: biting off WAY more than I could chew. I had acquired a couple of the nifty Con-Cor passenger cars (early Kato products) and wanted a layout with broad sweeping curves to best show them off. So what better way to take my first stab at a real layout than the ‘Broad Horizons’ from Atlas’ 9 Track Plans book (with not one but TWO reverse loops - I mean how hard could that be?)

We moved before I could ever get that layout to work properly. The ensuing decades didn’t dim the dreams of Empire in 1/160, rather they just got packed into boxes and stayed alive via books, magazines and the odd purchase.

I did come across a Chicago hobby shop getting out of Aurora Postage Stamp and Minitrix. After bringing home the bag of goodies: a big variety of track sections; the different types of switches; a 1992 Catalog (still showing the venerable F-7); and most importantly their classic manual "How to Plan, Build and Operate a Minitirx Layout" it really all came together for me.

Pamela and I have settled into our home here in Hastings and after 3 false start layouts in what proved to be untenable parts of the premises I have staked out an area in the basement large enough for a 4’ x 6’ island layout and an attached small workshop.

By using Minitrix R1 and R2 curves (7-1/2" and 9" radius resp.), the accompanying switches (standard, curved and double slip), and Woodland Scenics Inclines to easily lift one track over another, the 4’ x 6’ island is proving to be a virtual blank canvas for this old Lionel dreamer.

Photos of my current project will accompany another post in this fine forum. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and ideas with you all, as I finally have something tangible TO share, and acquiring a lot of knowledge and useful tips and information

Bye for now!

Malcolm Smith
    The doghouse_thumper
    Welcome Malcolm!!! I am guessing you are not the famous motorcycle Malcolm Smith.

Mike
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fifer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Mike! Ya know, that guy has plagued me my whole life! Oh well, what'ya gonna do? He has motorcycles and dune buggies - I have N scale trains and a Kay upright bass (the Doghouse). Whatever floats yer boat!

- Malcolm

25. The Following User Says Thank You to doghouse_thumper For This Useful Post: