Page 51 of 250 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4983

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Tom, and I've had an interest in model railroading for the about 35 years. I would pick up an issue of some model railroading magazine once or twice a year just to feed my interest. As I approach my 50th birthday, I decided that I would finally build my first layout. I guess I am the "50 Year Old Virgin" when it comes to model railroading!

Will be starting with a 6'x8' L-shaped layout, one leg 36" wide and the other 28". Decided on N scale. The benchwork is completed (1x3 grid with 2" of foam). In fact, just got in a shipment of track today. Hope to start laying things out either this weekend or next.

I have been lurking here and at other sites, and nscale.net provides a wealth of information for newbies like me. Thanks to all the veterans here who have provided such useful tips and information. I hope to be picking your brains sometime soon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kptom View Post
    My name is Tom, and I've had an interest in model railroading for the about 35 years. I would pick up an issue of some model railroading magazine once or twice a year just to feed my interest. As I approach my 50th birthday, I decided that I would finally build my first layout. I guess I am the "50 Year Old Virgin" when it comes to model railroading!

Will be starting with a 6'x8' L-shaped layout, one leg 36" wide and the other 28". Decided on N scale. The benchwork is completed (1x3 grid with 2" of foam). In fact, just got in a shipment of track today. Hope to start laying things out either this weekend or next.

I have been lurking here and at other sites, and nscale.net provides a wealth of information for newbies like me. Thanks to all the veterans here who have provided such useful tips and information. I hope to be picking your brains sometime soon.
    Welcome KPTOM , You will love it here.
    Nice Guys and Nicer Hobby !!!

Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 4,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

kptom not worry I was a 60 yr old virgin when it comes to railroading of any kind!

Welcome Aboard!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello folks.

Parents called me Rod when I was young, it stuck. I'm a young retired grandfather from Calgary, Canada who dabbles in modeling scenery for gaming. Our last child recently left home and I have been given the green light to take over the space.

My family is a railroad family and I guess that since it was looked upon as a job, I sought my play in other things besides model railways when I was young. What better time to get into it than now, eh? Hope I can find a little spot here to seek the advice of so many!

I've got a nice L shaped space to work with; nearly 50 square feet, and should fill up nicely using N scale. I've decided to model the entire scene with memories of going to work with my Dad when I was young. We would often travel about Revelstoke/Field in the 70's and the Fraser Canyon out of the PoCo into Boston Bar/North Bend yard during the 80's-10's. The Field trip was always a favorite because it usually meant a stay in the crew bunkhouse and a yummy railroaders breakfast. Every trip was a great adventure full of steep mountain passes, tunnels, and never a shortage of wildlife.

I'll post my current (there have been many) idea for a track layout in the appropriate forum (link to follow). Feel free to tear it apart! I have tough skin and would rather do this right
    Last edited by Rod; 8th Feb 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome Rod , You will Love the hobby and the folks here!

Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI EVERYBODY!
    I am Doug, and the Beautiful lady in front of me is my wife, Becky.
    My wife and I Both work in the medical profession, and are sharing the registration here. We have modeled in N scale for about a year or so now, she likes to "putter" with some scenery every now and again. We Both just like trains in general, I never developed the rivit counter, prototypical desire, I just enjoy the soothing atmosphere a layout with a couple of trains running around through some scenery creates for me. Sort of a mechanized fish tank.
    We both decided we might enjoy learning something to try on our layout, and possible future layouts, depending on how things progress. We both find it amazing the amount of detail some of you put into your mechenized diaromas, and the skills that are made evident by the appearence of the finished model.
    Some day I hope to obtain the skill and patience to achieve similar results someday, Becky just want to play choo-choo for now...which is fine by me.
    If you can't say something nice,......... your probably on the wrong medication!

Doug & Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no comment View Post
    HI EVERYBODY!
    I am Doug, and the Beautiful lady in front of me is my wife, Becky.
    My wife and I Both work in the medical profession, and are sharing the registration here. We have modeled in N scale for about a year or so now, she likes to "putter" with some scenery every now and again. We Both just like trains in general, I never developed the rivit counter, prototypical desire, I just enjoy the soothing atmosphere a layout with a couple of trains running around through some scenery creates for me. Sort of a mechanized fish tank.
    We both decided we might enjoy learning something to try on our layout, and possible future layouts, depending on how things progress. We both find it amazing the amount of detail some of you put into your mechenized diaromas, and the skills that are made evident by the appearence of the finished model.
    Some day I hope to obtain the skill and patience to achieve similar results someday, Becky just want to play choo-choo for now...which is fine by me.
    Doug an Becky , it is great to have you here .
    Lots of info and great folks !!

Mike
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rod & no comment
    Welcome Aboard!

Great site with great folks and lots of advise and opinions!
    Again,
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just joined up

Hello all !

I'm a newbie to model railroading after 30 years of wanting to build a layout. Well, times change and I'm ready to start on a small trial to learn the techniques and materials. I bought an Atlas kit for a 3x6' layout and am looking forward to getting started. I've got all the track for the kit, and some other things I've picked up through the years to modify the kit a little.

I've researched the various methods for modeling scenery, and am leaning to the foam method. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I look forward to learning a great deal here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
    Hello all !

I'm a newbie to model railroading after 30 years of wanting to build a layout. Well, times change and I'm ready to start on a small trial to learn the techniques and materials. I bought an Atlas kit for a 3x6' layout and am looking forward to getting started. I've got all the track for the kit, and some other things I've picked up through the years to modify the kit a little.

I've researched the various methods for modeling scenery, and am leaning to the foam method. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I look forward to learning a great deal here.
    Twoolf Welcome ,you will get some great advice here and above all , HAVE FUN!

Mike
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    -- John Lennon

Fifer Hobby Supply

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Twoolf,
    Welcome Aboard!

Great site with lots of great people always willing to share their knowledge.
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member

Hi there I am new to the group. I have dusted off my n Scale equipment and have begun building in earnest after a 7 year hiatus from the hobby. I am retired and split my time between my hobby and my passion for writing.

My layout is what I consider modest, consisting of 2 modules; 2'x6' & 3'x 5'. The 3'x5' butts up against the lower edge of the larger one to form an 'L' shaped design. It is still just DC, can't afford a DCC set up. I am modeling the transition era, 50' & 60's.

When I last packed up the equipment I had just begun exploring scenery and how to apply it. Now, everything I had learned I have forgotten and need to start over. The local chapter of the NMRA has held 2 MR 101 workshops which have been very informative.

Watch for my posts, I have a ton of questions to ask. Some may not sound relevant but hopefully there will be someone that can answer them. I downgraded from HO to N Scale, or as some may say upgraded, due a space constraint. A lot of what I had collected for my HO set is just too expensive to add to the N scale layout so I am starting from scratch.

Looking forward to the information I can mine from the members here. Oh yeah, I live in the frozen North, as in Canada. A lot of information will need to be adapted for our climate, and measurement system.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kebyars,

You will find this forum full of friendly people who will help with any advice you care to ask for. The only bad questions here are those that go unasked.

Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard!

Eric

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome Aboard! kebyars

Great Site for sharing info!

Again,
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a newbie too, looking forward to what you learn also....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,868 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! Welcome!

Hope you'll share your modeling AND your writing with us...

And yes, as for questions, ask away!
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard! Lots of friendly folks here with tons of experience!
    - - There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I like to use that line as a jump rope. ... (unknown)

Come visit my Layout Build Thread - http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...l-Build-Thread

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me add my Kebyars.

We have diverse climates among our membership (including the frozen north), and we have plenty that are fluent in both Metric and Imperial measurements.
    So, you can relax knowing that there is someone here that will be able to relate to your circumstance... or is that sympathize with your circumstance?
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can add to this is that kebyars must be much younger than I or a government employee because I almost never use metric.
    - - There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I like to use that line as a jump rope. ... (unknown)

Come visit my Layout Build Thread - http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...l-Build-Thread