Page 7 of 250 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Default Welcome to all new members!

Welcome to all new members!!

To those of you I haven't gotten a chance to welcome, glad to have you!

You will find that our site is a bit different from others. We tend to get to the point and offer useful information for beginners and seasoned veterans alike. I think you will find us to be a friendly bunch. Never hesitate to ask anything of us, we are always willing to help. And of course feel free to chime in whenever you can be of assistance to others. We like differing points of view here. And unlike many other forums, we try to stay civilized about all discussions. :P

Thanks to all who have joined! Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any suggestions or comments about the site. Or you can always contact Bryan, our co-administrator. And if you have any forum specific issues, contact one of that forums moderators.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Welcome new nScale.net Members

Hi everybody! I am 39 yrs old and just getting started in N scale. Like most everybody else I had a few HO sets when I was younger but they have been long gone for some time. My wife bought me a (early) Christmas gift...Bachmann empire builder set a few weeks ago and I have had a blast running it. I have added a Modle Power steam 2-8-2, a bachmann steam 2-8-0 and a bachmann 0-6-0. I have started a 30" x 80" door layout and using atlas track. I couldnt get the bachmann switchs to work without derailing. The atlas switchs have workes flawless. I will soon be adding more track, more switches, more cars and seanery. Just wanted to say Hello!!!

BTW GREAT SITE!!!

Hey NChatt! have seen you hanging around.

Did your wife realize what she was getting into when she bought you that set? :wink:

Welcome!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone,

I'm also a newbie to model railroading. I've been in to RC electric airplanes for some time but decided to try this because I can stay home more(which the wife likes) and trains are less expensive and alot harder to crash! After attending a train show in Ft Worth,Tx near where I live, I started with a 36" X 80" hollow core door and a like-new Kato F3 set which a co-worker had and was willing to sell me for $80. I hope I chose these items well, and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on Kato and maybe a design for my first layout for this size area. I've since bought the Kato turnout set and viaduct set but have not assembled them. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Ronnie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bryan,

I discovered this website on TrainNet.com. I got bit by the raifan bug about three years ago and have just recently started kicking around the idea of model railroading. I had an HO B&O passenger set when I was a kid but that was over 20 years ago.

I'm considering a layout involving C&NW's joint coal operations with UP from the Powder River Basin or their Iron Ore operations from Duluth, MN to the ones in Escanaba and Iron Mountain. I also might consider a freight operations layout of Western Maryland.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member Saying Hello!

I have been also lurking and taking in all the great tips and ideas to apply to my return to a hobby that I grew up with. I am a 40+ adult child that has always loved the railroads. My grandfather was a traffic manager at a railroad called TP&W here in Illinois. I was an N scaler at 6 yrs old and went HO for about 4 years at 10 and jumped back to N at 18. Well after about 20 year absense I am back and amazed at the changes in N Scale. The detail, the quality and realism is great. Hope to learn a lot and share a lot. Also have taken to scratch-building so hope to really learn what others have done to get great detail from everyday objects around the house and other resources.

My current layout, under construction is a 3X12 with a 3X8 dogleg. Doing the modern area as a freelance line with BNSF relations and unit coal operations, since that seems to be the bulk of traffic in our area with 4-5+ power plants and coal transfers operations around here.

Thanks for a great place to meet!

Dave
    David Thurman
    West Presence Gateway
    We Are N-Gauging Transportation In Illinois
    WPG RR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi - I'm a new user

I am back into N scale after a lapse of....many years....I was into HO for a while, but space limitations caught up with me. I have 'found' Bachman EZ Track and it is just the thing for me.
    My trains are running around the tree at the moment, but after Christmas, I will be working on a lightweight layout that I can take apart and store - not permanent. (Preparing for retirement in a few years, and a smaller space.)
    I work for BNSF, started with Frisco, and am modeling Frisco. At this time, I have the Lifelike FA2 A-B set, I custom-painted my caboose, I have a Lifelike E8, and I custome-painted 3 streamlined passenger cars - all Frisco. My layout will be 3'x4', with a possible extension for the yard. I'm still planning.
    I am also interested in steam, and will probably purchase the Bachman 4-8-4 and 2-8-2 in the coming year - custom-painted to Frisco. I would really like to try to streamline a 4-6-2 into the Frisco 'Firefly'.

Jim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I had a 10' x 10' Lionel O Gauge layout when I was a kid. In the early 80s I built an 8' x 15' N-Scale layout but had to discontinue it due to a space need for a sick family member. I have been out of the hobby for about 20 years now but the "bug" has again bitten. I want to start a new and much smaller n-scale layout (due to space limitations). I have a few structures and a few cars salvaged from the 1980's layout. I also have a new Life-Like Heritage 2-8-4 Nickel Plate Steam Locomotive that I received as a gift. As soon as I can "grab" a little space, I will start a new layout but the details are still in the early planning stage.

Thank's for providing this great site.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just Saying Hi!

Obviously I'm new here and I just wanted to say hi. I have currently started my first serious layout. I've played with n scale trains before as a small child. Now I am trying to learn the ins and outs of this hobby. I purchased Woodland Scenics "Scenic Ridge" to test to see if I can do it right. So far so good. Except I'm having trouble with my tracks. My Desiel engine that I have is an old one I've had for some time now and when I try to get it to run, I get this jerky like movement. I tested the track with a voltage meter I have and I get 14.38v throughout the entire track. I think I might have to clean the train itself, but I am not to sure. If any you guys have any suggestions let me know.

Thanks for letting me in on this great web site. Hope to hear from everyone soon. Oh yeah, Happy Holidays!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Here...

Hi, I'm a Dad, and have three children, I was in the hobby since as long back as I can remember... I think back to the time my Dad tossed out the old tin plate cars and three rail track Don't remember the name of the train set.
    I've been in N-scale only 5 years or so. OFF and ON (mostly OFF) I set it up once in a while when I get a hankering too. I'm getting ready to start up again, this time it will be another small layout 3X5 that can be moved into the shed for storage as a whole unit (read that as no dismantling). Anyway I'm also into computer building and repairs (where I get my spare change to purchase stuff) and I also build and repair houses (where I get my ideas for my model homes). I also work for a small micro-electronics manufacturing company (IBM), where I (simply put) "wash plastic boxes and count dirt".
    I wish to learn more about actually modeling a time and place. I like Vermont (where I live) and my wife was a bartender on the "SugarBush Express" from Middlebury to Burlington, VT, during one summer. single low-nose pulling three passenger cars and a baggage/generator combo car.
    Tomorrow I go to the shed and remove all the pieces parts and get ready to build my new layout, with my two sons (who are now old enough NOT to break MY toys).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NEW MEMBER

Happy Holidays to all the members here...

My name is Mike Langford and many of you probably already know me BUT in case you don't here is some back ground.

I am a Tool Designer / Drafter by trade for the last 25 years. I am currently looking for a new job as I got laid off on 12/10/04 due to "Lack of Work. If you know of any positions PLEASE let me know.

I model the SOO Line from 1964-1967, roughly, in Wisconsin near Stevens Point. It is a free lanced railroad based on that area. I have been modeling since I was about 10 years old so that would be about 45 years. I also model autos when the urge strikes me.

I wrote for NScale Magazine for 4+ years and have been published at some point in time in most of the other hobby magazines including the auto modeling types.

I have been an Ntraker since 1982 and currently have 4 modules but haven't used them in about 3 years. My main focus right now is on finding a new job and a home layout.

I am building a "shelf" or "domino" layout using 18" x 36"-48" dominos. It is 50" high at the railhead, DCC controlled, using code 55 track. It is currently in an L-Shape with 2-12' legs. It will be a point to point using card cards for operations with off the layout staging although a small freight yard would be nice.

Since I am primarily interested in switching, the layout will be based on that. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to locate any good switching layouts that give car numbers for the sidings. Most layout designers just draw something up and hope it fits or can handle the traffic patterns they want to establish. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. I don't want to copy a design but to draw on its concept.

I hope to be hearing from some of you soon. Have a SAFE & HAPPY HOLIDAY season.

Mike Langford
    SOO Line 1964-1967
    Mike Langford
    SOO Line 1964-1967

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greetings.....!!

My name is Paul McDougald. I started modelling in N-scale in the early 1970's, and have "dabbled" in HO and G scales too.....I'm a 57 year old, semi-retired photographer from Winnipeg, Canada. And if you like it cold , this is the place to be! It's gonna hit 50 below with the Windchill tonight --that's Celsius mind you, but at that temp who cares?? ..Another good reason to be a model railroader!

I model a "fantasy" layout of the steam/diesel transition era which operates CPR and CNR trains running over a "shared" community line. I'm a CPR fan and like passenger trains. My wife of 25+ years grew up in a "CNR town" and likes the freights/mixed trains she recalls from her girlhood. I have a "second level" to my my layout that we are attempting to build into a logging operation called the "Pike Creek Logging and Lumber Company", whose primary motive power is 2 MDC 2-8-0's.

Both Pike Creek and the unnnamed Main are totally fanciful of course---but the trains are always on time, no matter what the clock says...and the coffee is always "on"!

Oh, and I chose the moniker "fp9er" because I consider the FP9's to be among of the classiest and most beautiful diesels ever designed, --and I travelled many a mile behind them!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a new N-Scaler and constructing a 3X4' layout using code 55 rail. (MicroEngineering flex track and turnouts) I am loosely basing my layout in New England and using the B&M as my road name. I had an HO layout as a teenager, but been away from the hobby for many years. I retired this past year and decided now is the time to get started! I live in the panhandle of Florida in Gulf Breeze. (right across the bay from Pensacola) I grew up in Massacusetts. My grandfather and uncle worked for the Boston & Maine. I am using a layout plan that I found on the internet. Here's the URL: http://users.iafrica.com/c/ca/carope...al/compact.htm I've got the track layed and wired and am currently working on getting things to run reliably. I have an Atlas GP7 and a Bachman Consolidation and an assortment of freight cars. I'm having a bit of a problem getting the GP7 through the only Atlas code 55 turnout on the layout. Anyone got any suggestions on fixing that? It runs great on the MicroEngineering turnouts.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    Jim
    Gulf Breeze, FL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone .

Dave checking in , getting ready to start my layout . Been waiting a long time for this . Going to be 30 " x 96" . Still looking for a track plan . From what I have seen so far looks like this site well be helpful .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

My name is Mark Chalupsky. I am a physical education teacher in Minnesota. My father, who died over 40 years ago at the age of 52, was and engineer for the Milwaukee Road, so I have always had trains in my blood. Recently, the city of Carver where I live purchased and old caboose and set it in the park next to the historic old wood water tower across the street from my house in a small park, as a reminder of the history of my town. It really got me thinking, so after many years of not having a train, I purchased a HO Christmas train. After researching the latest in model train technology, I have decided to purchase an N scale model Milwaukee Road engine and add some Milwaukee Road cars as a tribute to my father. I am thinking about purchasing the High Sierra N scale layout and building my own little piece of the Milwaukee Road. I am trying to read and learn everything I can, especially about the latest DCC. So if anyone has any good advice for me I would be very grateful. I am trying to learn which train maufactures of N scale models makes the best trains and most realistic accessories. Any opinions out there?

TechGnome Guest

Hi all!
    Merry New Year. I've only just discovered this wonderful site, will be comming by here more often that's for sure. Been interested in rains ever since I got my first train set as a kid. With the exception of about 4 years in Texas, I don't think I've ever lived more than a couple of miles from a track line. I've been an amrchair modeler for sometime now, and now at the age of 31, I've finally decided it's time to build. I've always loved the AT&SF having grown up right next it in Calif (I lived just outside the south end of Cajon Pass) and for some reason also liked the UP (which I now live near in Omaha, NE.)

I had thought of doing a what-if senarior where, what-if the AT&SF came through the Omaha area instead of the Burlington Northern? The next year BN & AT&SF merged into BNSF - problem solved. Since space is at a premium, I am planning on a shelf style layout so it can fit nicely in to the computer room. A couch may need to come out (there's two, so the loss of one isn't a big deal) but it will be worth the sacrifice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,
    My name is Richard, i have just started with N scale trains after looking at them for many years. I have started with a few kato locos, which i have started installing Digitrax decoders in as i likes the idea of DCC.

Richard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bryan,

My name is Jay. The details, I am 51 and a professional. I actually built my track many years ago. I finally took it out of mothballs and decieded to get serious about completing it. I am still new at n scale. I am trying to go for an old world theme. All I have now is track laid. I am just starting to fill in with buildings and scenery. I am looking forward to ideas and having broblems solved by those who have been at this awhile.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi everybody!

Hello everyone at nScale.net

First, I would like to congradulate those responsible for such a wonderful site (It is obviously a labor of love, and it shows!) thank you!
    And to everyone else: I think I have learned more from you folks about the hobby than I ever knew existed. (I've been lurking for quite some time )

About me:

I'm 40 (something-ish).:shock: My first taste of the hobby was when my father got the bug and put up a 4'x8' piece of plywood in the garage. He was an electrical engineer, and I guess he thought the easiest way to teach me about electricity was to let me have at it. It was HO (of course)(, read most affordable), and it was fun, and I did learn!
    It's all gone now. Sold in some yard sale from one of my many moves
    But the passion has never truely died
    It's like an itch you can't quite scratch

So, I'm an armchair modeler at this point. "The remodeling of the house has priority over a railroad empire!" (A quote staight from the boss), but once that's done :x (pride in mordern day housing construction sucks), NScale would really work well with the era (Comstock mining and logging boom), and space I have at hand (Guest bedroom12.5'x14.5' and loft 9'x12')

So I'll be lurking and learning!
    I'm sure I'll have a lot of dumb newbie question, so be patient
    thanx,
    Comstock :roll:
    I was young and foolish then;
    now I am old an foolisher
    -Mark Twain, a Biography
    I was young and foolish then;
    now I am old an foolisher

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 56, been involved in model trains and such sense I got my first windup train at age 4. Kindergarden Christmas brought me my 1st electric train by Marxs. I got into HO durning my teens, and discovered N-scale or ("Penny Scale" as it was once called), back in the late 60's or early 70's. I now dabble in both HO & N, I even thought of getting into G-scale but that is to much space wise. So I'm a Master at diffrent scales but an Expert at non. I just love trains.

Robert K. Tompsett
    RKT