Page 8 of 247 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new nScale.net Members

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Welcome new nScale.net Members

i am the newest kid on the block. I am just starting in the n scale and don't know much about any of it. I am planning on building a small layout to start and see how it goes. i hage a decent sized basement tat i cna utilize so space will be no problem in the long term.

I have been reading some of the posts here with great interest and am looking forward to getting more involved with the hobby.

I am thinking that i may jump in to DCC at the start and save myself a lot of wiring hassles ... is this a good idea? On the other hand, it's always good to know how to do long division without a calculator. :-)

Thanks for your welcome... looking forward to lots of fun with the hobby.
    Bill Mattox
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i'm a newbie

hi everybody...........i'll betcha i'm newer at this than all of ya.

just a brief into..........my two sons and i are looking for something to occupy our interests. since i'm divorced from their mom, i'm anxious to start up something that we can enjoy together for life. i know absolutely nothing about trains, or modeling. what i would really appreciate is some advise as to the best book(s) to purchase so that we can do this as correctly as possible the first time.
    i live in an apartment and our space is going to be limited. i am considering an "L" shaped layout approximately 8'x2.5' with the right angle dimension of approx. 6' x 3 or 4'.
    any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

kevin gibbons and sons (corey and jackson, ages 15 and 8)
    one thing i learn every day is that i don't know very much......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "wmattox"
    i am the newest kid on the block. I am just starting in the n scale and don't know much about any of it. I am planning on building a small layout to start and see how it goes. i hage a decent sized basement tat i cna utilize so space will be no problem in the long term.

I have been reading some of the posts here with great interest and am looking forward to getting more involved with the hobby.

I am thinking that i may jump in to DCC at the start and save myself a lot of wiring hassles ... is this a good idea? On the other hand, it's always good to know how to do long division without a calculator. :-)

Thanks for your welcome... looking forward to lots of fun with the hobby.
    Welcome, wilkommen, parev, bonjour!

DCC has its own set of challenges, but on the whole I believe it is simpler for the average end user, plus as somebody starting out, by going straight into DCC you save yourself the agony down the road of having to convert a fleet of locos when you inevitably make the jump.

The ability to run your trains into each other, head on, is priceless, one of the great joys of DCC. (or agonies, depending on the circumstances :P )
    Heart of flame, blood of steam, sinews of steel, the iron dragon thundered across the realms, throwing down tyrants and slaughtering despots, until finally, at World's End, it paused in thought. Gazing across the void, it sounded a triumphant blast, befor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: i'm a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by "kebmo"
    hi everybody...........i'll betcha i'm newer at this than all of ya.

just a brief into..........my two sons and i are looking for something to occupy our interests. since i'm divorced from their mom, i'm anxious to start up something that we can enjoy together for life. i know absolutely nothing about trains, or modeling. what i would really appreciate is some advise as to the best book(s) to purchase so that we can do this as correctly as possible the first time.
    i live in an apartment and our space is going to be limited. i am considering an "L" shaped layout approximately 8'x2.5' with the right angle dimension of approx. 6' x 3 or 4'.
    any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

kevin gibbons and sons (corey and jackson, ages 15 and 8)
    Welcome, halo, Dzien' dobry, Saluton!!

For books to start with, I would recommend Sam Posey's "Playing With Trains". It not really about technique, but more the WHY of modelrailroading. If the book strikes a chord with you, then you'll know that you're in the right place.

The next book would be this one:
    http://www.nscalesupply.com/NAN/NAN-NAMER.html
    Heart of flame, blood of steam, sinews of steel, the iron dragon thundered across the realms, throwing down tyrants and slaughtering despots, until finally, at World's End, it paused in thought. Gazing across the void, it sounded a triumphant blast, befor

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello

I had some questions, so I Googled around and nscale.net was the only place I could get a good answer, so I joined.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri, one of the busiest rail interchanges in the USA. Everyday I see fascinating sights as I ride or drive past the business of the rails. Over one bridge, each morning, I see kilometer-long trains of coal hoppers from Peabody Coal, Amtrak liners, BNSF engines, and power and cars from other lines--Illinois Central, Southern-Pacific, old Burlington Northerns, ATSF, and more. Each day it increases my interest in my own modeling.

I found an N-Scale railroad by a dumpster in 1981 and took it home. I salvaged the track and kept it in a bag. I had an HO railroad in high scholl, so the track was just an idea. Now I am re-entering and the HO is stuffed in a bag while the N-scale is getting cleaned and used. The size is amazing in that I can have just as much fun but in 1/4 the area.

Anway, it is nice to have this web site available. Thanks, Webmaster!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member Here

Have been interested in trains since seeing the red cars run in trains of 2, 3 or more cars in Long Beach & Compton California in 1950, and seeing close up a RS-2 running slowly with a string of cars in Highland Park, Los Angeles. Not sure what it was, it looks similar, so RS-2 is the loco I bought to simulate it on my layout. My first train was a Marx, 0-4-0 with what I call tinplate, the cars rode on 4 wheels, two axles, but the cars had printed images of 4 wheel trucks hanging down to cover the real wheels, was about 8 or 9 then, 3rd grade. Got more track and switches at Sears. Finally maybe 2 years later, got a Lionel loco like a big version of 44 ton GE, and several cars, deluxe with couplers. Had moved out of LA to farmland, about 1/2 mile from SP tracks with F7A/B and cattle feedlot next to it. Saw book with real layout and scenery, wanted to have a layout like that. No money for board, stuff, got interested in radio electronics, high school, etc. Ran the train last at maybe 15. Cut to 1969, wife, got Atlas N scale set for Christmas. Added track, switches, cars, FA2 loco, but my stuff derailed often, no low speed. Put it away, intending to get back. Somehow kept wife from selling at swap meet. Cut to 99, took it off the shelf, moved LA to a small town in Illinois, got new wife after none for 23 years. Got MRR mag while wife was looking at wedding books, subscribed, and ordered a new loco, caboose, cars. Got a 48x31" board to run the train on. Ran them, thinking about making a layout, wife said I could use a bedroom we don't live in, about 9x10 or about, so the layout goes there.

Looked at plans, but no clue how to scenic some, decided simple, SP in the LA area, where the F7A/B units ran in on the Sunset line. That area is all houses, business now. To keep layout simple, no elevations, but between the Puente Hills east of LA, and hills near USC, lays part of what I wanted on my layout, plus ASTS line via Pasadena, and south along Alameda to Long Beach.

My goal is to build and scenic a layout representing a run of maybe 17 miles east and south of Union Station, before 55, in about 1/4 mile of run each direction, with a part of UP to Riverside, east of Ontario along Mission Blvd after Euclid Ave. Industry, farmland, grape vineyards.
    3 walls, 18 inches in the vinelands. Surface area, 64 sq. ft. or less, the upper end of my space and time to fill.

Like to run, so point to point with turnaround loops, SP and ATSF line across the San Gabriel valley, and river. I like passenger, ATSF E8/9AB with Budds to Chicago, SP to El Paso & New Orleans.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Tom, SP and ATSF fan, now in North Central Illinois, living in a small town (Pop 1000+) a few miles from the Illinois river, about 130 miles West and slightly South of Chicago. Former NYC line runs through our town, Penn Central, Conrail, now NS. About 6 miles away on the North side of the river, former Rock Island line, Bureau and turn off to Peoria.

Grew up in LA area, then near Herford Arizona, Tucson, Pheonix, back to Pomona Valley, Ontario, Monrovia, Arcadia, El Monte, Monrovia, Redondo Beach, Lynwood. All over, near SP, ATSF or UP lines, live or work, drive past.

Like to train watch at Mendota, CB&Q line now BNSF, ATSF line, now BNSF, and Rochelle, Clinton, Sterling, Burlington, Ft. Madison, mainly like to see the trains, loads, locos in SP paint, Amtrac.

Deciding to model opened up my eyes to the buildings all over, I see things I didn't before, learned some of the ways of trains following low lands up from the river along water courses.

Work for a Electronics Mfg Co. in Ottawa, IL, we make a variety of electronics communications products for industry, weighing systems, building control, security, even railroads, and Union Signal. Get to do presale and postsale support, tech writing, hardware demo programming, as Electronic Tech, and help customers find the right product we have for their needs.

Like new music, Alt. Rock, Jazz, New Age music, lots of albums, CDs, so was into rock, acid rock, soul, blues, and even country. CMT is on cable, so most new stuff lately has been country, Toby Keith, Gretchen Wilson, Los Lonely Boys, Big and Rich, Montgomery Gentry, but always liked country, buying Johnny Cash Live at Folsum Prison in '68. Also a Frank Zappa fan, 68 on, one time having most albums. Other stuff liked a few ago was Crystal Method, Eels, Garbage, NIN. What the heck, I was buying Chicago, CTA, and Pink Floyd, Who, even "Censored Christ Superstar" when (censored=Jay, E, Ess, U, Ess) they were first released.... and now Phantom of the opera comes out again as a movie. Big Brother and Holding Company or Jimi still hold up, where are tomorrows golden classics?

Electric trains got me interested in electronics, audio equipment, hobbies that became my job, computer hobby also into jobs. I like programming, making hardware do neat things, machine control. Programming is like magic, so is electronics. Small precision machines are neat.

My wife is my train watching buddy, she too sees things differently because I see with modeler's or artist eyes. Her dad is a retired Trainmaster from Conrail, he looks like an old railroad picture. My purpose each day is to make her laugh, smile. My heavenly father blessed me with her, took 50+ years to find Chrissy Jean.

I like N scale, never had enough space as a kid, setting up the O27 loop to loop on the California patio slab. Like passenger, like cab units, FA1/FA2, FTA/B, F3A/B, E6A/B, E7A/B, E8A/B, PA/PB, streamliners, Streamlined steam, PCC cars, streamlined autos, Art Deco buildings,
    Spanish California Style, high nose diesels, P42 and Bullet Trains, A/B units, nothing as impressive between F7AB or E8AB until a AA set of SD60M or SD70 or P42 set of 2 or 3. Also like cars, motorcycles, dream car is a new Ford GT at $147K+ never happen, something less than $25K is about my limit.

Tomcat Bluepuma

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just A New GUY

Well, lets start here. I am a KCS Fanatic. Love everything about the RR. My family has worked for it since my grandfather back in the early 40's. My father too. As for me.. I decided to go the design route and i am a draftsman. No hot and cold rail days for me...LOL...so I am the weakest link per se.

I am in the process of planning a KCS layout. Right now because I live in a small apartment. I am going to build something no clue yet lol

As, of other things. I live in Shreveport, La. I just finished a 4 yr tour in the US Navy.

I suggest to anyone the New Frieght Yards book by Kalbach if u enjoy working yards and such.

Well, thanks and keep the grade low and the power all the way maxed.

KCS_GURU
    Candy Gandy...did u know with a bus(12 ga.) u can stop a train??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome KCS_GURU!

Don't forget to include one or two TFM engines.

:wink:
    So wherever you go, there you are...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello kcs_guru,
    welcome to n-scale.net
    feel free to ask any questions, and post pics
    and thx for the tip on the book
    when i get to doing my yard, i'll look it up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glad to be aboard

Always looking for sources of N-scale topics. This forum seems to have it all.
    I'm a 64 year old male, born and raised in Altoona Pa and have a passion for model trains. Currently have a basement, two level shelf layout, 25' x 25' with over 500 feet of track. Upper level is double track mains (100') and still DC operation. Lower level has same double track mains (100') plus passing tracks, yards, helix from floor level hump yard and test track layout. Lower level is all DCC operation with Digitax Zephyrs and Computer controlled via Decoder-Pro software and a DT300 handheld.
    Love to operate steam. Current have 12 DCC controlled steam engines and another 30 + diesel DCC controlled.

...Eddie
    www.deloziers.com/trains
    Eddie Delozier
    N-Scale PRR

Welcome Eddie, its good to have you aboard! I have added your web site to our 'Layouts' section of the database.

Go check out Eddies site! It is fantastic!

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "Admin"
    Welcome Eddie, its good to have you aboard! I have added your web site to our 'Layouts' section of the database.

Go check out Eddies site! It is fantastic!
    I was doing just that... nice work Eddie... and my warmest welcome also...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll also stop by here to say hello. I've been "lurking" for a while and it's good to see familiar names from elsewhere in the RR world.

I'm located in the Northern Adirondack Mountains in NY where the temps have been keeping me indoors lately. My RR interests are the long-abandoned local logging & iron mining roads in my area. Modeling projects include construction of a new layout built in portable sections representing logging & sawmills based on the operations around Cranberry Lake in the early 1900's and also the iron mine & furnaces at Lyon Mountain, NY, served by the D&H.

Scenery and structure building is a big interest of mine.

Hope to be able to contribute something of value now and then.

Wayne
    “Speak only if it improves upon the silence.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been in n scale for about 10 years, just started laying track on the third incarnation of my layout a 14x9 L 36" wide. I plan to model a fictional shortline in Central Ohio, if I ever finish a layout
    Tim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another Newbie Lurker finally introducing himself. Extremely new to this. Bought my first train set back in August (N-Scale Bachman Explorer) for me and my 5 year old daughter to enjoy. Quickly learned that the size fustrated her as she couldn't get it on the track very easily (Still holds my interest though), so now 5 months later we now own 3 small sets and a decent sized HO set (Was a gift from my inlaws). I'm currently still in the research stage to build a small N-scale layout in my garage.

A bit about me, born and raised in Indiana (Wishes his Colts would get to a superbowl someday), been in the Air Force for the last 10 years, and currently live at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo, NM. It's an awesome location from a history point of view on RRs. We have the Toy Train Depot (a model train museum) here in town and lots of rail traffic (Union Pacific runs several times a day here).

I'm a history buff so I have 2 ideas based on this interest. 1) A German Troop movement during WW2 via trains (waiting on a book about WW2 German Armored trains right now), but think this one is best put off for a LONG time as I would have to probably build everything from scratch. 2) A 1930's to 1940's era layout based on Alamogordo and the base. The base used to have a track running on it (part of it exists but only crossovers). I came across Fifer's pictures shortly after coming up with this idea, very cool by the way. The only other idea I'm toying with is just using a pre existing layout and just create a scene to get experience. Figure I'd do a 4x8 layout with is idea. I get very little time to work on this stuff due to work and going to school 4 nights a week(especially since I still have to clear out the garage to do it), so it will be a long process. But in the mean time I'm gonna sit back and absorb as much as I can.

One Question, I've seen references to a N scale magazine? Local stores don't have anything but Model Railroader (but still get it every month as it is a good read and has interesting ideas).

Zhurgan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie

I have tinkered with the hobby for a few years. My wife stated that I should just "do it" so here I am. (She says I need a stress free hobby!)

I found this site the most inforamitive and easy going. Thanks. My info:

Father and husband and in the military. N scale is for me because of the moving around. I'm here in Va now. I spent 8 years in Europe-love the rails there! And most recent 3 years in upper NY (Ft Drum=10th MTN).

I am still working on my next layout-not sure of the time period yet-and the size to keep away from prying 2 1/2 year old! :shock:

Again, thanks for the easy site!

Chirs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from sunny Puerto Rico,thanks for the welcom.I'm 61 years old and love modeltrains,my city is Bayamon thats five miles from San Juan the capitol of PR. This is the first time that I participate anyware on the net so pleace excuse the mistakes. In Puerto Rico we have verry feu hobbie shops and none carry model trains,i'm looking for parts of an old N scale Arnola Rapido 4-6-2 pacific steam loco.If somebody can halp contac me at ricanguango@yahoo.com Thank's to all. Juan

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome JUANRAPR, to nScale.net...

You might get a better responce to your request if you post it to the "Wanted & For Sale" forum...
    http://www.nscale.net/PNphpBB2-viewf...96a0c82f5.html

You could also try in our links section;
    http://www.nscale.net/Web_Links-inde...nk-cid-42.html
    Where you will find N Scale Parts Exchange (a Yahoo Group for rare loco parts);
    http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/N-S...arts_Exchange/
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello

Hello, I'm from Wv, I model C&O, but like all roads. the NS runs just out my backdoor.
    I'm working on a layout on a door but had to slow down due to winter(yes its in a garage) and health. this a nice fourm and hope to learn.