Thread: 'Scale-Speed' motors & Atlas 'Classics', Compatable?

Default Re:'Scale-Speed' motors & Atlas 'Classics', Compatable?

That is typical performance for different locos. The newer Atlas locos have a much better performing motor that is geared/designed for lower operating speeds. You will get much better scale speed performance from these new motors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all of the classics have the new slow speed motor ,only the very newest ones do.
    Catt
    Purrpatrator of the
    North American Rail Alliance

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The motors can be swapped between old and new. I don't remember the part #'s from atlas, But I belive they are still available.
    Scott S.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To echo and add to what has already been said, the newer (within the past year or so) releases, whether they are labelled "classic" or not, have "slower" motors. Unfortunately, a GP38 will literally fight with all but the very most recent GP30s (I can't remember if any GP35s have been released with the scale speed motors).

It's all in the motor, as the trucks, worms, and all gears are the same, so like 70Runner already mentioned, you can swap out motors (either get an older motor to put into the GP38, or get newer motors to put into the GP30s/35s).

Looking at the Atlas website (www.atlasrr.com), under the parts section, there are two GP30/35 motor/flywheel assemblies available. The "9460000" is the older, faster setup, and "9461000" is the newer, scale speed setup. They price both at $22.00. Remember, the GP30/35 has a wider-than-scale hood, so the flywheel is larger, and those motors will not work with the gp7/9/38/40 models.

Under the common parts section, there are also two GP motor/flywheel assemblies available. The "9480100" is the older, faster setup, which speed matches well with the "9460000" motor (at least, in my "fleet", those two motor combinations run well together), priced at almost $19. The "498100" is the newer, slower setup, which should speed match with the "9461000" (but with all of my engines, I don't happen to have that particular motor yet, but I do have to order one for a GP35 project that I plan to run with GP38s), which is priced at almost $24.

Now, you might also find someone willing to swap motors with you. For example, I have a GP7 with a "9480100" motor that was lubed, broken in, and put on the shelf until I can get to that project, and I since I will be running it with a couple of GP38s, I would be open to swapping my "9480100" motor for the "948100" motor in your GP38 (you can look at the parts list included in the bottom of the plastic case to verify motor part #s). If you (or anyone else) is interested, feel free to PM me.

---jps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have GP-38 MO-PAC units they are from 2002 and they have scale speed motors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Questions,
    One, Will the slow motors from atlas happily MU with LifeLike?
    and two, What motor would fir into a "Classic" RSD4/5?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "alco_haulic"
    Two Questions,
    One, Will the slow motors from atlas happily MU with LifeLike?
    In my experience, my LL GP-20s aren't completely happy MUing with my Atlas GP38s, but it's not half as bad as trying to MU my LL GP-20s with my older Atlas GP7s.

..and two, What motor would fir into a "Classic" RSD4/5?...
    I don't know (anyone else?), otherwise, I'd have to get back with you on that.

---jps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 'Scale-Speed' motors & Atlas 'Classics', Compatable?

Quote Originally Posted by "NsaneTrain"
    One day I ran my new Atlas SD35 with a 'Classic' Atlas RS3. I found that the RS3 was much faster than the SD35. Is this tipical? I have 2 GP30s and one GP35, all 'Classic',
    You just ran into an Atlas "Classic" gotcha. The difference all depends on when the "Classic" locomotive was made.

I have a GN RS-1 "Classic" built in 2000 and a Miliwaukee RS-1 Classic" built in 2004. The speed difference is HUGE, with the older loco being the fastest.

At some point between 2000 and 2004 they changed the gear ratios on the locos to slow them down. I believe this because the motors appear to spin at close to the same speed, but the engines move at different speeds.

Unless you can find a motor that turns at a slow enough speed to make up for the gear ratio difference, you won't be able to match them by changing motors.