Thread: Are you happy with your railroad(s) coverage in the hobby?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PRR steam era items

There can never be enough PRR steam era items for me. I make my own, but scratchbuilding mechanisms is beyond my skills.

Put the MODELING back in model railroading.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Are you happy with your railroad(s) coverage in the hobby?

For me, there has only recently been a private operation release a couple of home-made rollingstock items... other than that, it's up to me to find something close, and go the bash & paint route to meet my needs...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specially when you live in Mexico:

Jijos de la rechin...!!!! (you don't want to translate that).

I know about four stores in the whole of M
    So wherever you go, there you are...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never been able to find any rolliing stock or locos for the "Royal Gorge Western" in the hobby shops, can't figure out why.

Seriously, I went to my own road name because to find steam locos that are D&RGW specific was not possible when I started in N and is still rare to this day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Private Road

My sons and I created the Portsmouth and Narragansett when we were stationed in Newport Rhode Island. Obviously I do my own painting and lettering on the road and use a healthly collection of Mid Atlantic and New England rolling stock as well.

My biggest concern to date is that a gentleman attending an event that the Ntrak club I belong to went on and on about how he remembered the P&N as a child living in Virginia (obviously he was from Portsmouth Virginia). I let him go on and on, not having the heart to break the bad news that my kids and I had invented it.

Michael

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say I can complain too much, since one can find plenty from the Union Pacific. However, with regard to wishing for more from a certain producer, I would like to see Kato do more in the way of steam.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Class 1 prototype guys got it made! Almost every model made will be painted for Santa Fe and Union Pacific, even if they never owned any! What are us regional fans or free-lancers supposed to do? I'd love to see more Clinchfield and DT&I equipment released, but so far Atlas seems to be the only manufacturer interested in doing it regularly. And those are the largest of my favorite roads, it gets worse from there! I'm praying every night for an Atlas MP15 in Lake Erie, Franklin & Clarion and since they have done multiple hoppers already there's a chance, but I've already started to design my own decals because I know the chances are slim. Detroit & Toledo Shore Line or Ann Arbor Geeps? I know, I know, I promise to pass the phunny cigarettes around... *sigh*

What about the modern shortlines? Atlas has started to release equipment in the G&W family paint schemes, but there are others that are missing. I'd love to see some rolling stock painted for the Indiana & Ohio, or even generic RailTex red and grey SD40-2's with do-it-yourself reporting marks, but that's probably not going to ever happen with Kato cornering that model's market. South Shore GP38-2's? Kato again. (Sense what half my problem is?)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a fan of the Rio Grande, I'd like to see more equipment available.
    Certain freight equipment in particular. Stuff not currently available anyway.
    Motive power isn't too bad, but I'd still like to see more road numbers offered.
    If 2 numbers offered in a first run, why not add 2-3 more numbers in a subsequent run?? How hard could thaat be?

As it is, I have several locomotives I need to change numbers on, to eliminate the duplicates. Less of the UP and/or Santa Fe and more of some of the other roads would be nice! But, that's only my opinion.
    Take it for what it's worth, which ain't much!
    Keith Old age is just a state of mind.If you overlook the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!~Red Green

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am modeling the late 1970's early 80's L&N and there isn't as much out there in N-Scale as I would like. Most of the locomotives are older models and are no longer in production, but I've had good luck with Ebay. Rolling stock is another matter. Not a lot out there. I also try to pick up ICG, Family Lines, and Seaboard System stuff as well, but not much of it either. I guess I'll have to learn to paint my own once I have my layout completed.
    Rails Across America - My railfan photoblog.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever tried looking for an n scale Long Island Rail Road passenger car?
    Best,
    Tony

TechGnome Guest

I had to go with "sort of".... it's not that it's hard to find stuff for my RR it' hard to find stuff for N scale! I basically get one chance a year when GATS rolls into town and I go nutz. Hobby Town carries N scale, but it's 10-20 copies of the same boxcars or tankers..... most of which I already have.

What I need to do is get oer to Lincoln to the TRain Cellar and see what they have.

I've been pretty lucky, I've always like AT&SF and UP..... the SF ran through my home town back in Calif, and the UP runs through here in Omaha, and now that BN merged with SF, I get to "legaly" run my SF & UP stock on the same layout, some of which is based on the local area.

Tg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no...modelling the Western Maryland, I can find items on Ebay. The problem is, most of these items are actually 'incorrect' and never existed in prototype form...rolling stock, colors used, and so forth. Steam? I'm happy they bothered to make the ONE loco that exists! Diesels I've just taken to decalling and painting myself, as IMO they look far better than the pre-painted stuff in most cases anyway. Only recently did we finally get hopper cars for coal that were actually close to 'right'. :roll:
    However, I wouldn't really want things to be like the UP or NS for me, as it would make just picking it up at the hobby shop too easy and wouldn't challenge my modelling. Like the Stones sang, you don't always get what you want, but you might just find you get what you need.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you happy with your railroad(s) coverage in the hobby?

Hi All,

I voted "No" only because the N-scale model manufactures seem to provide us with only three choices when it comes to locomotives:

1. They either limit their production, re-run the same body styles and/or only do minor paint scheme changes.

2. They only produce limited older body styles (Alco GE and Baldwin especially, U28B, U28C, U30C, C420, C430, AS-16, S1 to mention a few are non-existant have not been produced in many years).

3. They require us to kitbash what we want for a certain period.

I understand that popularity has alot to do with production. However, in HO scale, a modeler can pretty much find any period and body style locomotive, freight car, passenger car and caboose ever produced in the real world. Not to mention the structures and vehicles. Any era can easily be modeled. And certain companies only produce specific railroad equipment.

For example, Old & Weary Car Shops. They cater to the New York, Onterio & Western Railroad crowd. Bethlehem Car Works. They cater to LV, CNJ, Erie/Lackawanna/EL fans.

Bowser is a fantastic place for modelers of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. Both in HO and N.

Maybe Athearn will bring some of their HO model designs to N-scale. Atlas, Intermountain and Life Like have been adding a few new paint schemes and body-styles, but not many 4-axle road switchers.

Time will tell.

Tom Fredenberg
    Apex, NC
    Tom Fredenberg

Linden, North Carolina

American by Birth, Biker by Choice, Patriot Forever

United States Navy 1986-1997

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We run Santa Fe so we really are okay quantity of release wise versus some other roads. I do wish we had more available in N scale overall though. I don't know how many times I've seen someting neat in HO that I wanted for our railroad that just isn't available in N scale.
    Bob

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same situation as atsf 3751

i model a freelance layout from the early 70s to present of the bn, sf, and bnsf, so finding motive power and rolling stock is not a problem

the problem for me is finding things like vehicles, there are a few companies that make quite good looking ones, but most others leave something to be desired

my two cents

MC

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't find anything on my shortline.

Of couse when You model a railroad that existed from 1871-1885 with a total trackage of 185 miles, what can you expect! :roll:
    Will -- Modeling the Credit Valley circa 1880-1900